As part of WGN’s Stories of Hope, Dean Richards shared a health recipe for Greek Style Cod
- 2 pounds cod, halibut or mahi-mahi.
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound onions, coarse dice
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped or chopped
- 1 28-ounce can be chopped tomatoes with juice (in summer use 2 pounds grated or peeled seeded ripe tomatoes)
- ⅛ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- ½ cup of dry white wine or red wine
- ½ cup of chopped parsley
Pat the fish dry and season with salt and pepper. Itabi.
In a pan large enough to handle the fish, heat the oil and add the onions over a medium heat.
Stir frequently, until soft and begins to color a little, 8 to 10 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute.
Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, paprika, cinnamon, melted tomato paste, wine, half the parsley and more salt and pepper to taste and bring to a simmer.
Work the fish into the mixture and cover tightly. Simmer until the fish is opaque. Bast sauce over fish every 5 minutes or so. Cook until the fish breaks with a fork.
Switch to serving dishes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serving hot or hot.
Suggest a Correction