Eastleigh defeated Wealdstone 2-1 in the dramatic National League

EASTLEIGH bounced back from a midweek failure to claim a dramatic late 2-1 win over Wealdstone, in the National League.

Veteran striker Tyrone Barnett rushed in a superb opener to turn deep in the first-half before the Spitfires ’solid defense, before Joshua Umerah’s effort from outside the area was leveled by five to play.

Ben House decided that one point wasn’t enough, however, hitting the afternoon’s most impressive goal just minutes later by a half volley after it bounced up to him in the corner of the box-sealing everything of three points.

Manager Ben Strevens made four changes to his side that slipped to beat struggling Southend United midweek, with Barnett, debt Christian Maghoma and Vince Harper returning to the team.

But the big headline is center-back Tom Broadbent starting first for the Spitfires after recovering from injuries that plagued his pre-season-the former Army personnel who joined from Swindon this year.

These changes have seen a switch from 4-4-2 to a five-at-the-back, with the traditional football the formation only takes a few matches and unsatisfactory presentation before Strevens makes the change.

And it looks like it may be some of the same issues, after opening the exchange Eastleigh was seen in more advanced positions but again finds difficulty in producing a small quality end product.

That changed after 35 minutes of play, when House denied what seemed like a serious penalty shout after his ball in the area hit the hand of an approaching defender, but the referee ruled it not to be a foul.

The ball was found back at Eastleigh’s foot and Barnett, who dropped a bouncing ball into the side area and adjusted the turn-plunged into the lower left corner and past George Wickens into the Wealdstone net.

It was the 35-year-old’s first goal going forward in the campaign in 2021-22, ending the first-half to Eastleigh’s advantage.

Harper-left-back Harper went for a quick run and tried to whisper a raised one-two from inside the area, after he finally headed the ball to Harry Pritchard, but unfortunately it was bounced back before it will reach him.

House finished on goal as a poor stoppage with the Stones failed to deal a long ball forward from the McDonnell keeper, but for a controversial sliding challenge that stopped him in the deep penalty box. of the opposition.

As more positive news came for the Spitfires ’strong support, midfielder Cav Miley returned from injury and replaced captain Danny Hollands to try and see the game.

Home replacement and replacement Danny Whitehall had a chance to add their own, with split -ups from Broadbent and Christian Maghoma receiving little to no resistance on their way.

But after a season where Eastleigh wasn’t just touching the ball, substitute Joshua Umerah sent a low piledriver from outside the area despite McDonnell’s stretch and to equalize more than five minutes from time. .

That wasn’t the final action: The House half volley from the angle of the opposition box came back to sink Wickens and seal a dramatic win on the road, and a bounce-back from a midweek letdown.

Eastleigh XI: McDonnell; Hare, Maghoma, Boyce, Broadbent, Harper; Hollands © (Miley, 70 ‘), Whelan, Pritchard (Hill, 87’); Barnett (Whitehall 77 ‘), House

Unused subs: Kelly, Hesketh

Wealdstone XI: Wickens, Cook ©, Charles, Stevens, Lewis, Eleftheriou, Tavares, Dyer, Elito, Ibon, Cooper

Subs: Wishart, Fasanmade, Buse, Umerah, Mundle-Smith

Attendance: 1276

Leave a Comment