Afghan man, 5, dies in Sheffield hotel window after fleeing Taliban | UK | News

The five -year -old and his family arrived in the UK after fleeing the conflict that took place in Afghanistan due to the Taliban takeover, just days before the accident. The child died in a hotel window at the OYO Sheffield Metropolitan Hotel in South Yorkshire.

He is believed to have plunged from the ninth floor of the building, around 2.30pm yesterday in an incident not described as suspicious.

The establishment of South Yorkshire became the basis of Afghan heroes and their relatives working with the British Army and authorities.

Those stationed there fled the UK as the Taliban invaded their entire country, taking control as the US military left the area.

Named Mohammed by guests and friends, the child was said to have been evacuated to the UK for safety with his family earlier this month as the Taliban’s advance began.

Before moving, his father worked at the British Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan’s capital city.

Fearing the child fell between a gap of one and a half feet that became apparent when the windows were opened, something inspectors discovered at the scene yesterday.

A hotel resident who served as an interpreter in the British Army in Afghanistan for two years arrived in the UK with his family on 27 July.

In an interview with The Sun Online, the resident said the boy and his family “could not have gone to England for weeks”.

READ MORE: Boris warned that the UK has ‘days not weeks’ to get everyone out of Kabul

Police will remain at the scene and security guards with high visibility jackets keep people away from the main entrance to the hotel.

Thousands of people, such as families affected by this tragedy, were evacuated on US and UK airlifts as Afghanistan residents sought safety and shelter from the advanced Taliban.

The hotel, located on Blonk Street, is under investigation, which police saw testing the windows and measuring the space seen as fully open.

An NCP car park located next to the hotel was also sealed by police following the incident.

Omar Majeedi, a senior humanitarian worker and father of the victim, worked in a project management capacity at the British Embassy in Kabul.

He was responsible for handling Afghan migrants who had returned to the country since December, 2020, before the family fled to England to escape the conflict.

A friend and former colleague of Mr. Majeedi said: “When I was at the airport saying goodbye to Majeedi, I just hugged his little boy. I remember him making gestures like a child.

“I don’t understand how this happened. I’m shocked”.

Leave a Comment