The government says 48 hours of national mourning will be observed after 37 people are killed by suspected rebels.
Niger has declared 48 hours of national mourning after 37 people were killed in a new massacre by suspected rebels.
“Flags will fly at half mast across the country” with immediate effect, a government statement said Wednesday.
He reaffirmed the government’s determination to “continue the fight against terrorism until final victory”, urging greater vigilance of the population.
On Monday, gunmen on motorcycles launched an attack on villagers in Darey-Daye while guarding their fields.
Four women and 13 children were among the 37 people killed.
The massacre bore the hallmarks of the rebel attacks that have plagued western Niger since 2015, when an armed campaign spread from Mali.
Darey-Daye, who suffered an attack in March that killed 66 people, is in the Tillaberi region, which has suffered the brunt of the bloodshed.
The village is located in the department of Banibangou, in the so-called “triple border” area where the borders of Niger, Burkina Faso and Mali converge.
The area is known for attacks by groups linked to al-Qaeda and ISIL (ISIS).
According to a toll issued last week by Human Rights Watch, more than 420 civilians have been killed in rebel attacks in Tillaberi and the neighboring Tahoua region this year, and tens of thousands of people have fled their homes.